Thursday, December 24, 2015

Antique textiles reborn

Surrounded by antique woven and embroidered treasures

Antique textiles as home decor
By now you know that I love beautiful textiles. But the love sometimes surpasses practicality and/or timeliness.

Such is the case of three discarded beauties. The textiles were remarkable but sadly they had outlived their intended uses.

One, which I bought at an auction, was red and a very large square paisley shawl  woven of fine silk and wool, ca. 1860. Its plain weave red center, visible on the top center pillow, was bordered with intricately woven designs on all four sides. 
Kashmir wool embroidery, detail

The second called to me at a yard sale. The large Kashmir wool chain stitch embroidery wall hanging had been badly damaged at its midpoint where it had clearly been folded for a long period of time. (A sad reminder never to fold valuable textiles--Roll them up!) I estimate that it was made in the late first to mid-second quarter of the 20th century.

The third textile consisted of two rectangular sections of a wool paisley shawl. I don't remember where I got them, but they're circa late 19th to very early 20th century. The pieces were in good condition and showed the original shawl's solid black center as well as its lovely deep, rich red and dark green intricately woven border design. They were undamaged but only 12 inches wide.


Despite the damaged areas on the red shawl and the Kashmir embroidery, there were plenty of areas in good condition. The colors were vibrant and designs exquisite. Beautiful textiles to live with and enjoy. I could envision them as pillows. 


Textiles transformed

Pillows from two ladies' paisley shawls
Unfortunately, as often happens, my mind provides more ideas and warps time to cause me to think I can achieve more than humanly possible. I tend to live in this state.

So, after a life change early in 2015,  followed by a studio clean-up and -out, a major goal was to finish neglected projects. The three textiles were at the top of the list. They occupied valuable space. I needed them finished and out the door! 

Easier said than done, of course. 

Then I got a deadline. (Yes, yes. I'm very deadline-driven.) K. had a booth at a local craft fair and offered to share it with me. This gave me a date to finish them.

I loved the textiles when the only thing to love was the intricate and beautiful work--and I love them even more as beautiful pillows. But I can't possibly use all the pillows I have, so, yes, they're for sale. Time and place yet to come.

3 comments:

  1. I too live in a time dilation field. Still about a month away from finishing a shower gift for the mother of an almost-4 month old.
    My goal for 2016 is to go through my WIPs and frog/finish them. I don't have any lovely paisleys in my stash, but I do have some pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too live in a time dilation field. Still about a month away from finishing a shower gift for the mother of an almost-4 month old.
    My goal for 2016 is to go through my WIPs and frog/finish them. I don't have any lovely paisleys in my stash, but I do have some pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the challenge of real time vs. imagined. And I thought I was the only one. You do beautiful work. Hope you will share it.

    ReplyDelete