Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Got inspired. Got moving.

As mentioned in a prior post, as part of my transition strategy, I signed on for classes with Stephen West and Steven Be when they were at Woolbearers in Mt. Holly. I used the time as part of my re-entry plan, that is, jump back into the fiber world and immerse myself. 
Get inspired. Get moving.
The two Steph/vens brought trunks of garments. They also brought loads of luscious yarns. 
Inspiration? Fulfilled.
The next imperative was to get moving and knit something. I opted for a green colorway using two fingering weight yarns--Hedgehog Fibres 'Bali' and Three Irish Sisters Adorn 'McNamara'--plus a custom blend of four yarns that included a green mohair and three synthetics in kelly green, blue, and black.
For a pattern, I started with Stephen West's 'Daybreak.' The pattern is for a small shawl/bandanna or a full-size shawl. I opted for the smaller size as I like the look of the smaller size worn as a stand-out bandanna with my typical and standard black ensembles. It's an easy pattern that is basically just knits and purls, but it's based on two colors and I wanted to use three. So after the first section that is a single color, I let go and let the colors happen. I had a ball.
I had also bought two complementary yarns. (Yes, I know. I had vowed to resist the urge to purchase until I got my personal stash somewhat under control.)
Anyway, my two beautiful yarns must be knit. Hedgehog Fibres' 'Peacock' is a riot of color and must be tamed a bit (IMHO). I'm looking to the Schulana's kid mohair and silk in a rich blue to do it. I'm knitting them together, that is, as if they were one thread.

And the pattern? I like StevenBe's ponchini design, but it doesn't quite fit the yarns that I have. After sorting through my swatch collection, thumbing through Barbara Walker's treasuries on knit patterns, and knitting swatches, I found what I was looking for. The choice is a variation on one of the Walker patterns.

I'm nearly done, but only worried that I'll run out of the main yarn. We've all been there. I'll just keep knitting.




No comments:

Post a Comment